Disaster Protection for Your Security
Disaster intrudes into our lives without any warning in most instances. Therefore, being prepared and protecting yourself and your family is critical.
I get it, we all deserve a break, and I hope you and your family enjoy a good one in August.
However, whether you are headed out for a long drive or getting on a plane for a more extended vacation, it is essential not to overlook the details that protect you and your family during unexpected events.
Accordingly, here is a disaster preparedness checklist:
Disaster Protection for Critical Documents and Valuables:
- Certain documents belong in a fireproof safe but don't always get there. Here are a few:
- Social Security Card (I hadn't seen mine in years and needed it recently for the REAL ID driver's license update. The deadline is 5/3/23.)
- Spare photo IDs if you lose your wallet.
- Vital records include birth, marriage, divorce, adoption, guardianship, and passport.
- Your estate plan, Living Trust, and Power of Attorney documents.
- Pet ID tags.
- Household contact information includes your doctors, financial advisor, attorney, insurance, church, school, employer, and home repair services.
- Vehicle titles, real estate deeds, and leases.
Lastly, here is a complimentary comprehensive checklist.
Disaster or Emergency Access to Health Care Power of Attorney
Undoubtedly, Someone must go home to retrieve your Health Care POA whenever we need this vital document. Please make sure you have access to it on vacation.
With this in mind, Docubank offers a significant discount of just $25 per year for this service for our customers. Please don't hesitate to call or email us for an application if you are not registered yet.
Disaster and Insurance
- Please ensure no gaps in your family health care and accidental injury insurance. Consider travel insurance for peace of mind.
- While away from your home and traveling by vehicle, it is essential to have a current umbrella policy Most people are underinsured with a common $100/300 auto policy. An umbrella policy is a few hundred dollars annually and gives you an extra $1 million to protect your vehicles and home.
Finally, please don't overlook the stress of the last few years at work and home. Protecting your mental health and reaching out to someone when needed has to be a priority.
Accordingly, here is an excellent list of resources covering many issues.
Enjoy your summer break!
Comprehensive Benefits of America
For an expanded presentation of asset protection and financial wellness strategies and regular updates on strategies to protect what you have earned, visit and register with CBA on the link below. Registration is free.
The information being provided is strictly as a courtesy. When you link to any of these websites, Comprehensive Benefits of America, LLC/does not represent the completeness or accuracy of information provided at these sites. CBA does not provide professional financial, investment, tax, or legal advice. You should seek certified financial planners, CPAs, and attorneys for advice relative to your personal needs. See complete Disclosures and the CBA Security and Privacy policies.
17W220 22nd St.
Oakbrook Terrace, IL 60181